Today has been a very emotional day for me. Although I didn't lose anyone I knew in the terrorist attacks on 9.11.01 I have still been touched deeply by those events and each year on the anniversary I carry on a special sort of routine. Some might say that I'm crazy or abnormal for the things that I do on this day each year but, as many of you know, I dont really put a lot of weight on what other people think about me. Even though the last ten years I have kind of gone through a routine on this day, today was different. It has now been a decade, its hard to believe it has been so long. Today I did a lot of reminiscing about the things that touched me ten years ago. I have included several hyperlinks in this blog to videos or articles so feel free to explore them as well. Everyone will remember where they were at when they heard (or in many cases saw the events unfold) about the attacks. I was awakened early before a day of my junior year of high school by my mother as she told me to get up and come and look at the television, I got there literally seconds before the second plane hit the twin towers.
I also remember sitting in my first period English Class and the grouchy old broad teaching it wouldnt let us turn on the television in the room. An aid came in crying and asked some of us sitting by the door why we werent watching the tv, we told her and she responded by telling us that one of the buildings had collapsed. That was when I took matters into my own hands and told Mrs. Ochoa that if she wasnt going to let us watch then we were going to a different room to watch. As she told us we couldnt do that I left the room and was followed by more than half the class down the hall to another room to watch for the rest of the period.
These memories are not unlike those that many of you had ten years ago today. Just like the generation before us remembers where they were when Kennedy was shot, and the generation before them remembers where they were when they heard about Pearl Harbor, we will always remember where we were when the world stopped turning. When we think back, its easy to remember the horrible things that unfolded that day, but on this 10 year anniversary I would like to point out some of the heartwarming and proud moments that took place that day and in the days to follow.
Do you remember the United States' Congress standing on the steps of the Capital (where just the day before they had been fighting and bickering over the budget) and singing "God Bless America" together? It is important to note that in all likelihood none of those men and women would have been alive to stand united in song if it wasnt for the brave men and women aboard the 4th hijacked airplane (United 93) who learned through phone calls with loved ones of the events unfolding on the ground and decided to take matters into their own hands, they had to have known that their chances of taking over the plane were slim at best but they knew with certainty that if they sat idley by and did nothing that they would not only be resigning themselves to death but also others on the ground at some high value target chosen by al Qaeda. We have learned since then that the target of choice was likely the Captial building. God Bless those brave men and women and may they always be remembered as American Heroes
Do you remember President Bush at Ground Zero? Love him or hate him, his words still give me goosebumps. He was a man chosen for a job, I can think of very few presidents that we have had in the last 60 years that would have had the stones to take the bull by the horns and make sure that our lands were safe during his watch. Many will disagree with me but he will forever be a hero to me. His words that night were just what we as Americans needed and anyone who says they werent motivated by his words that night is lying to themselves. His speech the next week brought me to a stop as I mowed the lawn and I sat under a tree and listened to it on my headphones. What a man!
Do you remember the first night that Letterman was back on the air (watch both parts)? That was another of those proud moments that brings a tear to my eye to this day. It was a big step for Americans to stare the terrorists in the eyes, give the the good ole' American finger, and go on with our lives while still remembering what we were going through. Another of those moments was the first Yankees game after the attacks. Heck I hate the Yankees but in the World Series that year, I think all of us had a little bit of Yankee in us!
Finally, do you remember Buckingham Palace on September 11th 2001? They played the United States' National Anthem at the changing of the guard ceremony. The memories mentioned above are of how we as Americans stood up to terrorism in the hours, days, and weeks after the attack and said, "we will not stand for this! We will continue on and life our lives the way we always have, but we will never forget and you better watch out cause we're a comin'!" This memory is different, this memory is of Great Britain not only playing the National Anthem of their former colonies but the song they are playing was written in poetry during their bombardment of Baltimore in the War of 1812! This act alone showed that not only would the Americans refuse to shrink in the face of evil but our greatest allies and strongest friends, the Brits, would stand beside us as we kicked down the door and dealt out retribution that they wont soon forget! So cool!
My purpose for writing these memories is to help us all remember that while 10 years ago today our Nation suffered immense tragedy, we met that tragedy with unity and through that unity we overcame! That day there were no Democrats, no Republicans, no blue collar worker, no white collar worker, on that day WE WERE ALL AMERICANS! The remarkable thing is that each year, on this day, we reunite and remember that although we squabble and fight, we push comes to shove we will stand together, unite, and we come after anyone who tries to take what so many of our brothers and sisters have died to preserve. If you mess with us, we will come and get ya. If you have your doubts, ask bin Laden!
GOD BLESS AMERICA
Sunday, September 11, 2011
Looking Back and Remembering
Posted by Kendall at 10:25 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
0 comments:
Post a Comment